The Most Frequently Asked Questions:
· Why do you want to clerk?
· Why do you want to clerk for this court?
· What do you hope to get out of clerking?
· What are your career plans?
· How does clerking play into your career plans/ambitions?
· What do you have to contribute to chambers?
Other Questions about Clerking:
· Why did you apply to me specifically?
· How did you choose the judges that you applied to?
· What would you do if you found that you disagreed with me on a case?
· Would it bother you to work for a judge with whose judicial philosophy you did not agree?· Political leanings?
· Do you consider yourself a strong legal writer?
· How have you honed your legal research skills in law school?
Personality Fit Questions:
· What do you consider your greatest weakness? Strength?
· What do you like to do with your free time?
· What is your favorite movie?
· What is the last book you read?
· How would you describe yourself?
· What do you feel is most important in choosing a place to live?
· Why did you go to law school?
· What was your favorite class?
· What was your least favorite class?
· Who was your favorite professor?
· What is the most important thing you have learned in law school? How will it help you in your professional career?
· What areas of the law do you find most interesting?
· Have you/do you plan to write a note?
· How much criminal law have you had?
· What sort of work did you do during your summer internship?
· What is the most important thing you learned there?
· What are your 10-year career plan?
· In what area of the country are you interested in practicing?
· What public service you have done?
· How would you describe your work style?
Legal Questions (these are the least common types of questions):
· Have you read any of my opinions? Which ones?
· From a judicial standpoint, how do you feel about the death penalty?
· What do you think about judicial activism?
· What do you think the constitution intends as the role of Article 3 judges?
· How would you describe federal jurisdiction to someone who doesn’t know about it?
· Which justice’s legal style do you most admire?